If you can't see graphics on the right sidebar, do the big switch, Firefox Flicks!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Why Kong is King

Peter Jackson's three-hour long adaptation of King Kong was nothing short of epic. The gargantuan gorilla was given life and realistically-human personality capable of feeling love, fear, hatred and appreciation for beauty. The film, far from the reasonable fear of critics and fans, did not sacrifice artistic content of the story.

Jackson did not just create a monster who fell in love with a beautiful woman. What he did was cull from his imagination how a creature who knew violence as a way of life could be tamed into a gentle beast capable of using violence as the only means to save his loved one. In effect, Jackson did nothing more than project what human beings are capable of doing when their loved ones are threatened by harm.

Though the movie took exactly three hours to finish, there was not a single boring moment in the film. Every scene built up into the climax and sometimes even outdid previous scenes in eliciting horror, suspense and exhiliration among the audience. Noteworthy in the movie are the spectacular production design, the cutting edge effects that make Spielberg's Jurassic Park a movie for three year olds, the breath-taking cinematography and wonderful sound track and editing. And of course the battle between Kong and the hungry T-Rexes.

I would also like to mention the fine acting of Naomi Watts as Ann Darroway. I did not find Jack Black's portrayal of the mad movie director Carl Denham convincing though. Probably because I keep seeing him as the looney substitute teacher in School of Rock. I only had one wish, that Jackson could have picked a more attractive actor to play Jack Driscoll than the fresh from the grave Adrien Brody. But hey, if Ann could fall in love with a gorilla, why not with Adrien?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie yet. But based from your review, I think it's worth the money diba? Brody is not that bad looking... he's not good looking, but he's not that bad either. He he he! By the way, I like your blog... :)

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice review. Gota see this movie probably tomorrow.

9:30 PM  
Blogger sonoftheprodigal said...

thanks dehj and estan.

8:16 PM  
Blogger vaN said...

I just watched King Kong yesterday and I loved it. :D Aside from the fact that Jack Black was there, I think the movie was great. Yeah, with all the effects and the funny expressions of that big cute gorilla. Yet I heard it didn't have quite a break as it should have in the box office. :(

Yeah... I think Naomi's too pretty for Adrien. Hee. :D

12:18 AM  
Blogger Passionate Eater said...

Wow, sounds like a movie that I can't miss! Peter Jackson definitely is a stupendous film maker. Although I didn't see the movie yet, I'll have to agree with you: the previews show how well Naomi Watts plays the character, and I also think they could have chosen "more suitable" people than Jack Black and Adrian Brody. It's not that Jack Black and Adrian Brody aren't good actors, it is just that they aren't the people who I would naturally "imagine" to play those characters in King Kong.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of the minority who didn't like this film. It was entertaining in parts, but its length overwhelmed me. As for Adrien Brody, I actually applaud Jackson for casting him. His features are not typical of Hollywood leading men, which makes him look less generic than all the Ben Affleck's out there. :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger JOFUS DUFUS said...

Interesting reviews...I watched King Kong too, and it was fantastic!

BTW, Thanks for ur compliments, I really appreciate that :D

7:48 PM  
Blogger Richard Gibson said...

The remake is a good attempt, for me it isn't a patch on the 1933 original which is I believe one of the greatest films of all time.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home